Your first ritual that you do during the day is the highest leveraged ritual, by far, because it has the effect of setting your mind, and setting the context, for the rest of your day. – Eben Pagan
I remember moments during my life where I struggled to get out of bed. I absolutely hated waking up early in the morning and preferred to stay in my warm bed rather than wake up early for some motivational “crap.” Looking back now I realized during those points in my life I also was only achieving very average results, I didn’t want to wake up for that “crap” because my life was pretty much just that, crap.
I can also reflect back on the times in my life where I was excited to wake up early. I was in sales and I knew my mindset was key. I would wake up and go for a long run or hike and come back into the house running around yelling affirmations and visualizing amazing things happening in my life. During that time I was absolutely killing it in sales, I felt great and I walked into work with motivation and vigor.
Looking back now I now realize it was my morning routine that made the difference.
Over the years I have connected the dots and realized that my morning routine can either make me or break me. I also have discovered that many of the most successful people in the world both now and in the past had extensive morning rituals including exercise, meditation, and reading that allowed them to establish a strong foundation for the rest of their day.
In the book “The Miracle Morning” author Hal Elrod breaks down the importance of a morning ritual.
“How you wake up each day and your morning routine (or lack thereof) dramatically affects your levels of success in every single area of your life. Focused, productive, successful days – which inevitably create a successful life—in the same way that unfocused, unproductive, and mediocre mornings generate unfocused, unproductive and mediocre days, and ultimately a mediocre quality of life. By simply changing the way you wake up in the morning, you can transform any area of your life, faster than you ever thought possible. “
In his book, “The Morning Miracle” Hal discusses six important activities to include in your morning routine for ultimate success. These morning rituals helped change his life and achieve phenomenal success. By using this blueprint you can also do the same.
Six ways to hack your morning routine include:
- Silence – Sitting in silence is an amazing way to calm your nervous system and prepare for the day ahead. One of the best tools I have used for meditation and deep breathing is the Heart Math Sensor, sold by the Heart Math Institute. It is a sensor that hooks up to your ear and allows you track your heart rate along with your breathing. I highly recommend using this sensor during your morning meditation.
- Reading- Adding a motivational book to your morning ritual is a great way to get your day on track. It allows you to pick up awesome insights and fuels your passion for the day.
- Affirmations – In the biohacking community we don’t talk often about affirmations. I guess for some people it may be a little too “woo woo” but there is actual scientific evidence that has proven the positive effects of affirmations. New research from the Carnegie Mellon University is providing evidence that self-affirmations work and are a powerful way to reduce stress and also improve performance. In one study, for example, a self-affirmation activity prior to starting a school term boosted the overall grade-point average of those students who were underperforming previously. The science is clear, affirmations work. So I guess I was on to something when I was walking around my house and yelling out “I am a top salesperson!” in power poses. Indeed it did seem to work as the results followed.
- Visualization- According to Hal Elrod, visualization is absolutely crucial along with your affirmations. Vision boards are a common tool used in the “law of attraction” community and are a great way to get started. All you need is a big board and lots of pictures that depict what it is you want to create in your life. Visualization is also something you can do in your mind. The key is to visualize everything you want using all of your senses and emotions. Many successful individuals have used the power of visualization extremely effectively. The inventor Nikola Tesla used creative visualization to invent and develop many of his machines and technologies. I would often visualize success during my morning routine and actually manifest the exact results that I visualized in my mind.
- Journaling – Writing can be very therapeutic. Elrod recommends journaling daily to gain clarity, keep track of what we are grateful for, capture ideas and acknowledge your progress towards our goals. The best part is journaling is extremely easy and you are writing only for YOU, there is no need to edit your work and make sure every word is perfect.
- Exercise –Last but not least is exercise and getting your body moving. Just a few minutes of exercise can boost energy, enhance health and improve self-confidence and overall wellbeing. Exercise can be in any form you relate to, it can be a morning run outside, hiking, turning on dance music and dancing (great for getting the excitement up!), jumping on a trampoline, yoga and more!
So there you have it folks, these are the top six ways to hack your morning routine. One more thing I should mention is that this morning routine does not have to last hours! Hal Elrod even states that five minutes of each activity to fuel you through the rest of the day. The only other thing I would add to this list is a cup of amazing Bulletproof Coffee to get your morning started off right.